Saturday, December 13, 2008

The moon seen at its closest point to the Earth

After finding out from Bob at Black holes and Astrostuff that the moon would be at its closest point to the Earth last night, 12 December 2008, I thought I'd have my first go at photographing it. I had a small window of about 5 minutes where there was no heavy clouds so ran outside with my Canon 450D. These are what I managed (my first try remember!) photograph of bright moon Moon through the trees moon and clouds through the branches Moon through the trees moon and clouds I did these all handheld with my 55-250mm IS lens and had quite a long shutter speed. I was very pleased with how they turned out really. I love the way the bare branches of the tree give it a kind of creepy feel. The moon that night was apparently 14% bigger than it would normally appear and some 30% brighter. It looked beautiful.

HINT: If you click on any of my images, you'll be taken to my Flickr site where you can see them in their original sizes.

I would definitely recommend checking out Black holes and astrostuff, there are some cracking images on the site and a wealth of information that just makes you want to get out and look at the sky in a completely different way. I had one peek at the site and now I'm hooked!