Friday, August 07, 2009

Bastille Day Celebrations and Fireworks - France

Whilst we were in France we were lucky enough to see the Bastille Day celebrations on July 14th. The town where we have our place, Mervent (pictures to come!) is normally very quiet- you never see many people about or cars on the road or even people in the 2 bars we have. But, on the 14th there were hundreds! The bridge across the lake was teaming with people waiting to see the fireworks. And what a firework show they put on. It was truly awesome, one of the best displays I’ve seen up close. They had built a platform in the middle of the lake and used it as a launch pad for the fireworks, it was a great effect. I had decided before that I was going to have a go at photographing the fireworks as I had never even attempted to do that before. I was unsure whether I should have been using a slow shutter speed or a fairly quick one, so I tried slow, quick and kind of in-between. These following shots were the best of a series that you can see here on Flickr and many are better in the big sizes! IMG_6855 IMG_6851 IMG_6844 IMG_6832 IMG_6794 IMG_6782 IMG_6777 IMG_6760 IMG_6750 IMG_6741 IMG_6778 I hope you have enjoyed my photographs this week, I will be back soon with a proper post about the Mervent in France.