Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Walks at Blashford Lakes

Hi again guys. Me and Brian have been going for walks on Sunday mornings to help us get more active and we recently discovered a place 15 minutes away called Blashford Lakes. I absolutely love it there! It is a Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust site and has an education centre, hides and viewing screens looking out onto many lakes. There are also a couple of hides with bird feeders outside the windows so you can sit and watch literally scores of birds at the feeders. It is a truly beautiful place made up of many lakes that used to be gravel pits and marshlands with walkways through, rivers, fields and woodlands. It is one of the nicest places to walk that I could even imagine. We have seen so many different types of birds there, some I had not even heard of before.

Unfortunately, I haven't been having much luck with my camera lately and I just keep on taking rubbish pictures. I really need to sit down and study. Hard. Anyway, here are some pictures from our last 2 weeks walks at Blashford Lakes. I have more pictures on my Flickr page don't forget.

This is the view of one of the lakes.

lake at blashford 2

A beautiful wren that stopped for a little while so I could take a couple of shots.

little wren

This is one of the feeders, covered with Green Finches and a Lesser Redpoll.

finches

This is a shot of a Crested Grebe. Very pretty bird.

grebe

This next one is pretty poor but it is a Great Spotted Woodpecker!

spotted woodpecker

This is a creepy old tree we saw that looked really cool against the blue sky.

old tree

This is one of the walkways through the marshes by the river. It is so cool when you're walking through, the pictures don't do it justice really.

footpath

This below is a Dunnock  (it used to be called a hedge sparrow). It was zoomed right in and I think through a window so it's not the best quality.

dunnock

This is the feeder again, this time with a few Green Finches male and female and a Great Tit. I could've sat there for hours if the other half had let me! ( Also low quality as it was taken through a fairly dirty window)

siskins and great tit

This below is a Lesser Redpoll. Very cool as I've never seen one before. Low quality again I'm afraid.

Redpoll

The next photo is of a Mistle Thrush which is a gorgeous bird.

Song Thrush

The next one is of a little Long Tailed Tit. These little birds are so cute and pretty, I get them in my garden sometimes too.

long tailed tit

This is a plain photo but just look at the number of birds on the water! There were literally hundreds of Coots, Mallards, Drakes etc...

hundreds of coots and ducks and drakes and more!

These are one of my favourites- Canada Geese. Very beautiful.

canada geese

This last one is of a Pied Wagtail. He stopped right on the rock and posed for me whilst I was taking pictures of the Gulls, so I had to photograph him. It isn't such a good photo as he was quite far away and I had to zoom right in.

pied wagtail

Thanks for looking at my pictures this week. I have some more coming up from another walk we took recently. Don't forget to check out my Flickr page for more of my pictures.