Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Holiday in Krabi, Thailand



Hi everyone- if I’ve still got any followers to say hi to; I’ve been gone a while. I have been sorting out my photos from Krabi, Thailand for the last couple of weeks. I took about 2000 whilst away. However, the majority were shot with my lowly Kodak camera the main reason being that a big DSLR is seriously NOT practical whilst you’re out and about in the jungle, near monkeys, in rivers, in and out of boats, on beaches and in the sea snorkelling. Ok, I know, I’m rubbing it in a bit but it is true. I did manage to smash the front end of one of my lenses. Luckily it had a polarising filter on so I only smashed that and not the actual lens, but it was still enough to stop me from taking it out much.

Also, for the first week, I had a big smudge on the lens of my Kodak and didn’t realise it, meaning that many of my pictures have a fuzzy patch in the middle. In truth, it was a total disaster for my photos *but*… I had the most awesome time ever and I’d go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Krabi was jaw-droppingly gorgeous (seriously), most of the locals I met were pretty darn nice, the food was out of this world, the sun shone loads and we had a consistent 35-40 degree heat for the 2 weeks we were there. Basically, it rocked BIG TIME. If you get the chance to go you really should take it.

I will start with a couple of scenery photos. I may do this for a few weeks and put up a different day trip and commentary for each post. I’ll see how I feel and just go with it. Sorry they’re not the best quality; I just hope you enjoy looking anyway!

This is Ao Nang Beach (as seen from a restaurant we ate at). This was where the main town was based. There was the main strip of shops, bars and restaurants along the beach front and the majority of the hotels were set back a bit. I didn’t like this beach when I first got there as it was not what I was expecting but after the first day or so, I realised how nice it was and we did spend a couple of days there in the end, swimming and relaxing.

View from Restaurant on Ao Nang Beach, Krabi Thailand

This is a picture of some long tail boats at Railay Beach. This was a 5 minute boat trip from our beach (Ao Nang). The boats look so picturesque but they have dirty great diesel engines attached and sound horrific!

Long Boats at Railay Beach

This is also Railay Beach.

Railay Beach

This is the next beach along from our beach and is called Nopparat Thara Beach. Ao Nang is just on the other side of that headland. We walked all the way to the end of Ao Nang Beach then to the end of this one and then back again all on our first day. It was beautiful. We both got very sun burnt unfortunately! At the end of this beach are some tiny islands and a harbour for long tail boats. This was a beautiful yet deserted place.

Nopparat Thara Beach, Krabi Thailand

This is the harbour I just mentioned.

Long Boats, Nopparat Thara Harbour, Krabi Thailand

These are all the tiny islands. They are joined by sand banks when the tide goes out and you can walk between them all. It was very pretty here.

Islands at Nopparat Thara Beach, Krabi Thailand

I will finish with a very strange fish we spotted. In fact, there were hundreds of these- in the inlets as well as in the sea at the beaches. This was a small one but they actually get fairly big and quite freaky looking! We just called them the long nosed fish but I haven’t a Scooby what they’re really called. If anyone knows, please mention in the comments!

Strange long nosed fish, Thailand

I will be back soon with more pictures. If however, you can’t wait and really want to see more of my pictures from Krabi, Thailand then please check out my Flick page. Here the pictures are tagged and labelled accordingly in one set. Hope you’ve enjoyed the pictures.